Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Vendor Spotlight-Harpist Brandee Younger


Happy New Year! I’m sure you all have had a great holiday season; now back to planning your big day. Entertainment is essential in every wedding; you and your guests will appreciate the art and sound of music. You may want to include a live musician during your ceremony, cocktail or during your reception. If you want to add a whimsical feeling in your wedding, such as having a harpist play magical tunes as you walk down the aisle- I have the perfect harpist in mind. I had the opportunity to interview the talented Brandee Younger, as well as I will be attending her live performance on Friday, January 14, 2011. If you are interested in having a harpist for your event and would like to see her live, this can be a great opportunity for you, as well as a romantic night out with your fiancé.

Q: How did you find your passion in playing the harp? How long have you been playing the harp?
A: It probably wasn't until I became a young adult that I realized that this is what I was meant to do. I have been playing for about 15 years now and over time; things really began to unfold right in front of me. I couldn't ask for anything more!

Q: What kind of events have you performed? What venues have you performed at?
A: I've performed every kind of event imaginable! Any celebration you can imagine, I've played. I have performed at many wonderful venues including Carnegie Hall, Joseph Meyerhoff Hall, Blue Note, Birdland and Iridium Jazz Clubs, the Hammerstein Ballroom-- the list goes on & on.

Q: Do you think having a live performance adds a special touch to a wedding?
A: Absolutely! A wedding happens once and the ceremony itself is the most sacred part. Having live music does not even compare to having a recorded track. There are nuances that can only happen in real life. I can't imagine having a recording of a pastor or priest conducting a wedding ceremony!

Q: What songs do you recommend for brides to play during their ceremony
A: Many brides LOVE Pachelbel's Canon. I suggest alternatives to that. Maybe something like Vivaldi's Concerto for Lute. It's beautiful and not as done as the Pachelbel, and Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Also, pieces like Brahms, Variations on a Theme by Haydn; Bach, Prelude in C & The Trumpet Voluntary all are good alternatives for the "run of the mill" pieces.

Q: Do you offer advice/suggestions in what songs compliment a bride/groom’s personality?
A: Often times, couples have songs that mean a lot to them. I once had a couple that met while Enya was playing, so it was important for them to have some Enya during their ceremony. It brought back the memories of their first meeting. Also, I play for many couples that come from different religious backgrounds, so they may not want any music related to church, so they want their personal preference. I've played Barbara Streisand, Beyonce, CeCe Winans, Bryan Adams...I think I even had to play something from Jurassic Park once before! I think I was in college then, though :-) I do suggest alternatives however, if a bride requests something I feel would sound pretty awful on the harp.

Q: What kind of genres do you play?
A: I am an oddball ;) I'm classically trained, so I play classical music, but I also play jazz, R&B, and pop styles as well.

Q: Do you play solo or do you play with ensemble?
A: Both! I play weddings solo, or duo with my flutist or trio with flute & bass, or cello. People like to change things a bit for cocktails, so we'll often have a jazz trio of harp, bass & drums for cocktail or dinner hour.

Q: How far in advance a client should book your services?
A: I prefer 6 months in advance.

Q: What upcoming events do you have in New York City, so we can see your performance?
A: January 14th at the Nabi Art Gallery! It should be a great show full of harp :-) The address is 137 West 25th St. Feel free to visit www.brandeeyounger.com for more details as the date nears.

No comments:

Post a Comment