Friday, July 9, 2010

How to write a Maid of Honor & Best Man speech?


Hi Maid of Honor & Best Man!
Congratulations you have been chosen to accept the role as Maid of Honor or Best Man in your friend’s special day. In addition to planning the bachelor (ette) party and helping your special friend plan their big day, includes the infamous toast!

The day might be approaching near; you have no idea what you are going to say for that memorable toast. Let me share a story with you- I remember when I was Maid of Honor for my best friend’s wedding I was very nervous once we reached the reception venue. The serenity of the wedding turned into panic and sweaty palms. I didn’t know my toast was scheduled after the bridal introduction. It was too soon! The wedding planner didn’t let me know when I should speak; she just rushed to give me the microphone. I was the first speaker!! I had no choice but to suck it up and read my poem from an index card. Luckily, I wrote a poem a few weeks before the wedding. Indeed, I cried and I don’t think everyone heard me but as long as the Bride and Groom heard me that’s what mattered. The poem I wrote was a hit, my dear friend started shedding tears. I was glad that I wrote my thoughts prior, instead of winging it at that moment.

This is the toast that your dear friend will always remember. Keep in mind it is recorded by their videographer, therefore your special friend will continue to repeat that moment as the years go by. The toast takes place right after the reception bridal introduction and the first dance/parent’s dance. It is a good idea to prepare in advance in what you are going to say. If you are an inspirational speaker, or a public speaker this may be a piece of cake for you. However, for those who are shy and aren’t used to speaking in front of the public, this can make you anxious.

Here are several techniques that may work for you:
-Decide what you would like to express. Write it down a few weeks before the wedding, so you can have time to compile, review and edit.
-Your speech should be no longer than 5 minutes and it shouldn’t last for a second!
-Take your time; write down memories that you have shared on an index card. Make sure they’re not embarrassing ones or private secrets!
-Congratulate that special person that has married your friend. Acknowledge the person who is marrying your special friend by saying a few kind words to them. You don’t want to exclude that person.
-Decide if you want to express your humor in your speech or just sticking to the more sentimental type.
-Practice makes perfect- share your speech with a friend to make sure it sounds acceptable and upbeat.
-Do not intoxicate yourself during the cocktail hour to ease your nerves– you don’t want to sound drunk, slur your words, or say something unkind. (Have one drink or one shot- to calm your nerves if needed)

Remember, if you shed a tear or two. It’s okay! Take your time while speaking and don’t rush your moment. No one will judge you; instead they will enjoy and embrace the words that are coming from your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment